Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Molly's With Her: Making History

Politics is not my thing. Many people in my family have strong feelings, but I do not as I’d rather stay friends than state opinions. All I will say is that I define myself as a moderate. I always vote, but I have never worn a button or announced my preferences via Facebook or through other public channels. One time, many years ago, I was in line to vote in a presidential election, and the man in front of me turned to me and said, “I hope you are voting for the right person.” I have no idea whom he considered the right person, and I didn't answer him. I just smiled. 

I never tried to influence my children’s views either, and let me tell you, it works. They don’t have the same thoughts as I do nor do they agree with one another. They have made up their own minds how involved, or not involved, they want to be in the political system. I am proud of both Sam and Molly for this. 

Facebook political arguments are foolish. You are never going to change someone else’s mind. The hatred and misinformation spewing from both left and right-wingers is distressing. I refuse to be a part of any political discussion on Facebook because I want to keep my friends and family, and I don’t want politics to damage those relationships. I’m not talking about your opinion on your page, that’s your choice and you have the right to do as you please. I am talking about creating or engaging in arguments or spreading misinformation.

Molly and Christian. Ohio-bound. 
Having said all that, my daughter is leaving New York City for a few months to work in Columbus, Ohio, for the Hillary Clinton Presidential Campaign. That’s her choice, and I’m proud of her for living her life on her terms. She will be a Field Organizer. She will return to New York after the election is over. It’s a great experience and will allow her to understood, in a real way, how our presidential campaign system works. It will open doors and allow her to meet young people from across the country who are descending on the battleground state to help in one way or another. One of her best friends from Rhodes College, Christian, also will be working on the campaign in Ohio, although in another city. This was an unexpected turn of events, but it is not an opportunity she can pass up. The 12-hour days (every single day) don’t scare her. She’s a hard worker. I’m looking forward to the stories, and grateful she gets the experience. That’s what being young is all about. 

If you have an opinion about her choice or my support of it, that’s fine, but please be respectful.

I appreciate all of you who read my blog, and I appreciate the kind words you have always shown me and my family. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Well said!!! You and I are very alike on this matter, my cousin. Good Luck Molly!!! This is an experience you will never forget!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you cousin. I'm glad you have my back!

    ReplyDelete