Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Successful Surgery (Update for March 1, 2016)


It's hard to imagine any day spent in a hospital being a good day, but that's what I am going to call yesterday. A good day and a new beginning. 

SURGERY
Sam’s 2.5 hour surgery to return his left bone flap to his skull was successful with no complications. The surgery, called a cranioplasty, is a follow up to a craniectomy, when part of the skull is removed to allow decompression (brain swelling to go down). I had previously said 14 screws were going to hold his skull in place (I’m sorry, I haven’t been thinking straight and misunderstood) but what they inserted into his skull were 6 titanium plates (very, very thin) with six pins. The incision was on top of the previous incision, and he has 55 or more staples again. Now, after the surgery, he has to wear the SCDs (sequential depression devices) on his legs to prevent blood clots. He also was a little nauseated, dizzy and suffering from blurred vision. He did get up and walk (ankle hurting again), and they changed his bandages (he didn't complain a bit although the nurse even said they were very sticky). His head was shaved again, and he now has a beard, so it's going to be a new look for him. I think I like it. 

With all that going on after his surgery, his attitude was amazing. He joked with the doctors prior to surgery (and made them laugh), and he was laughing and smiling afterwards. The relief he felt was overwhelming. He was so happy to have his skull whole again and to put this stage behind him. 

The helmet is history. I feel like Sam should put it in a case, remember it like a trophy. Proof that he beat a TBI and came out the other side stronger. 

BEFORE SURGERY
Best work family ever. 
Prior to surgery, he was nervous but visiting with the anesthesiologist and neurosurgeon calmed him down. They explained the entire process, and he felt more comfortable. His anesthesiologist, Dr. Rose, left a note under Sam’s pillow that we found later … telling him how much he enjoyed meeting him and his family, and that he wished him well. That was amazing. My co-workers sent me a picture early in the morning, all of them dressed in Sam's favorite color, and holding signs showing they were Sam Supporters. It made my cry; just so so sweet. Best work family ever.

DURING SURGERY
Bridget, Sam’s dad and I waited in the waiting room. I felt nauseated and hot, and I had a headache … I felt like I was having sympathy pains for Sam. 

The electronic surgery board. 
If you know me, you know I have very little patience, and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone because the hospital solved for this issue. Hospitals (I'm guessing it's plural) now have pagers (like when you are in a restaurant, and they give you a pager that goes off when your table is ready) that goes off when the surgery is over. The hospital pager is extra EXTRA loud. The hospital also has an electronic board. Each patient is assigned a number, and you can track the status of your loved one’s surgery on the board. Pre-op, procedure, post-op and more. It’s very efficient, and it eases your mind when you can almost see what is happening. Smart. 

AFTER SURGERY
After surgery, Dr. Grewe, his neurosurgeon, explained to us that everything went very well. He said that Sam needs 1.5 years to completely recover from this TBI. It takes time to heal from such a severe injury. He’s come so far, and we have faith that he will be completely healed in the months to come. 

He remained in recovery for almost 3 hours (that was frustrating) as they took their time to determine where he would go next. They decided to forego ICU and also a “regular room” for acute care. I was unable to see him while he was in recovery; Bridget stayed with him. When they were wheeling him down the hall to his room finally, I walked beside him. He was smiling and asked me, "What have you been doing this whole time?" I said, "Thinking about you." He's been in acute care before, and one of his sweet nurses from before, came by to say hi to him. He was in good spirits after surgery, and even talked on the phone briefly. When I left him last night, he was a little nauseated but very sleepy. He is on a clear liquid diet, and the salt tablets and fluid restrictions remain in place. 

ROUGH START YESTERDAY
Having said all that, we had a rough start yesterday. Bridget called me at 6 a.m. in a panic because the hospital had called and said they were expecting Sam for a 7:30 a.m. surgery. We had been told several times before, including on Friday, to be there by 10:30 a.m. for a 12:30 p.m. surgery. So, their mistake. They owned it and apologized for it. It all worked out, because we wanted to move on and get this surgery OVER. I’m always amazed when businesses (and a hospital is a business) know how to treat their customers. An apology goes a long way. 

PORTLAND
Our walk on Sunday.
I have a new friend in Portland. She’s the mother of one of Molly’s sorority sisters at Rhodes College in Memphis. They are from Portland, and she had reached out to me several times, and we finally got to meet last night and spent time visiting in the hospital lobby. She brought us a delicious homemade lasagna dinner, and flowers for Sam’s room. She’s even going to give Molly a ride on Saturday from the airport to me. I am so grateful. People are so good, and I’m so happy to have the opportunity to get to know Jennifer.

I’ve been staying at a little cottage, rented through AirBNB, about one mile from where Bridget and Sam rent their apartment. The house, the families, the TONS of people walking their dogs …  reminds me of Hillcrest (for those of my friends from Little Rock). I am probably not a good fit for Portland, although I love it, because my AirBNB host, told me to COMPOST garbage, and he just assumed I had some idea of how to do it. I’m just not organic enough for this place. 

Sam and me on Sunday.
All weekend, when walking to Sam and Bridget's apartment each day, I was bombarded with wind and rain. It took me much longer to walk than Sam thought it should. He kept asking me, “What are you doing?” Well, I was looking around, trying to take in the sights. There are so many people on the streets here, riding bikes, walking dogs, carrying yoga mats and driving little tiny cars. SUVs are not popular in Portland. Although it has been about 50 degrees, people are bundled up. They have beanies on, gloves, scarves, heavy coats. It’s all relative I guess. The walks have done me good, and I like the solitude. No one has spoken to me at all when I've been out. I’ve been trying to blend in, seem like a local. One trick to that, have a jacket with a hood. Don’t carry an umbrella or they will know you are not from here. A lesson from Bridget. 

On Sunday, I was supposed to be at their apartment by 8:30 a.m. but I decided to stop at Portland's version of a Mini-Mart (Plaid Pantry) and get Sam some creme soda. It’s a new obsession for him, and it’s interesting because my great grandmother used to buy me and my cousins cream soda when we were kids, and we LOVED it. I’ve never bought it, but Sam found it on his own. Sam and I took a long walk with Weezy, and hung out alone all day Sunday. We watched a movie. It was the best day I've had with him since his injury. He seemed like himself. I felt very happy. 

FINALLY
Now, Sam and Bridget can breathe again. They have been waiting and waiting for this surgery. It’s been unbelievably stressful for them to worry every second about being careful, never forgetting the helmet, thinking of every step, watching every motion. Both of them said they felt like a huge burden has been lifted. Sam will not likely need 24-hour supervision anymore. Sam said that even though he felt dizzy and nauseated and tired, it was still a great day yesterday. He was in a good mood. When I handed him some broth to drink last night, he said thank you, and then to Bridget and I, "I love you both." I told him, "I love you too, but the way I feel is bigger than those words." Parents out there, I know you get me. 

Time for the next stage in his recovery. Looking forward to complete healing. And, looking forward to a visit this coming weekend from Sam's grandparents and sister. He is excited about that. Your prayers and good thoughts are working, and he is better every day.  

Thank you for reading this blog, and thinking of my precious son. 




13 comments:

  1. I just love your reading your blog!! This entry is especially great news!!! Love to all!! Sherry ( the California cousin.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks cousin! He's getting so much better. It's a miracle. I'm thankful. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all so thankful!!! And apparently, the word "your"made an extra appearance in my previous comment!! I need more coffee!! Have a great day!!

      Delete
  3. Good report! I know you're relieved. Keep up the good work, Sam (et al).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praises and prayers continue for his full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOHOO! I am so thankful that the cranioplasty surgery went well and that the real healing can now begin. Sam, you and your whole family have all been through so much and you all deserve healing from this nightmare.

    Thank you so much for the update!

    Take care,
    ~Ron C in PDX~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ron. I appreciate all of your thoughts and comments.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for all of the updates. Everyone is pulling for Sam and it means a lot that you take the time to keep us all in the loop. I'm so glad that everything went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Becky, and thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad. It went well. You are such a great mom. Still sending you prayers. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very sweet thing to say. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. Kelly, it's Trcia. Amazing blog, amazing Sam, Bridget, family and YOU!!! Covering you all in prayers for Sam continuing his recovery in this journey. Much love to you all. T

    ReplyDelete